Extending a Visitor Visa

An extendable Visitor’s Visa (60/90 days) can be extended up to a maximum of 180 days, as long as the student maintains good academic standing and class attendance as a full-time student. At the end of 180 days, you must go abroad and obtain a new Visitor Visa from the local Taiwan embassy, before reentry Taiwan. Alternatively, long-term students may desire to apply for a Resident Visa in Taipei or Kaohsiung after 4 months of continual Chinese language class enrollment. In order to extend a Visitor Visa, students need to submit the following to the local Immigration Agency:

Applying Resident Visa

Students may apply for Residence Visa if they:

  • have continuously studied at the Chinese Language Center(CLC) for four months
  • have an excellent study and attendance record
  • intend to continue studying at the CLC for at least three months
  • left Taiwan less than two weeks during the period of studying at CLC


To apply for a Resident Visa, you must first go the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kaohsiung or Taipei. After receiving paperwork for the visa application, you must complete and submit them to the Immigration Agency within 15 days to avoid being fined. The actual Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) will be issued by the Immigration Agency. Please prepare the following:

  1. Online Application Form (
  2. Certificate of Enrollment
  3. Attendance Record
  4. Grade Transcript
  5. Study Plan
  6. Financial Statement demonstrating
  7. Health Certificate
  8. 2 ID-sized photos
  9. Passport
  10. Any and all application fees
  11. Proof of payment for enrollment in following semester(s).
  12. Please contact with the MOFA Southern Taiwan Office if any problems occurred.


Information for Visa, Qualifications, and Required documents

  1. How to Extend Your Visitor Visa in Taiwan?
    Please check:
  2. How to apply for a Resident Visa with entry via a Visitor Visa in Taiwan?
    Please check:
  3. How to apply for ARC in Taiwan?
    Please check: